Education in Las Cruces » Population » Temperature and Rainfall » City Utilities » Business & Industry » Health Care » Arts and Culture » Leisure and Recreation » Shopping and Dining » About Dona Ana County »
About Las Cruces
Las Cruces is located in the verdant Mesilla Valley in south-central New Mexico, a growing community with a bright future. Las Cruces is the fastest growing city in New Mexico and the 11th fastest growing in the nation.
Las Cruces history dates back to 1598, when Don Juan de Onate led the first colonists to the area. In 1848 the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo was signed. In 1854, the Gadsden Purchase was ratified in the historic village of Old Mesilla. In 1881, the infamous William H. Bonney, better known as "Billy the Kid" was tried and sentenced for murder here, but later escaped. The Mesilla Valley has been "home" to people for at least 4,000 years, and that's no surprise to anyone who has seen Las Cruces.
The Rio Grande flows through the middle of the valley with the majestic Organ Mountains rising to the east. The surrounding agricultural land yields pecans, onions, cotton and other produce, but it is renowned for growing the best-tasting green chile in the world. Today, Las Cruces offers a vast selection of annual events and attractions, great weather-an average of 350 days of sunshine a year-and without a doubt, the people of Las Cruces are the greatest asset. Las Cruces invites everyone to "Come for the History, Stay for the Fun!"
For more information on Las Cruces and New Mexico, visit the links at the top of the page. We have compiled many resources for every area of interest that a newcomer to Las Cruces, or just someone interested in purchasing or building a new home, could want.
Las Cruces Information & Links
- Building Industry of Southern New Mexico
- City of Las Cruces
- City of Las Cruces Museum System
- Dona Ana Arts Council
- Dona Ana Community College
- Dona Ana County
- High Tech Consortium of Southern New Mexico
- Las Cruces Association of Realtors
- Las Cruces Bulletin
- Las Cruces Convention & Visitors Bureau
- Las Cruces Sun-News
- Las Cruces Symphony
- Las Cruces Public Schools
- Memorial Medical Hospital
- Mesilla Valley Economic Development Alliance
- MountainView Regional Medical Center
- NASA White Sands Testing Facility
- New Mexico Farm & Ranch Heritage Museum
- New Mexico State University
- Picacho Hills Country Club
- Sonoma Ranch Golf Course
- White Sands National Monument